|SITES||back to cruquius home page
|introduction | engines | engineers | foundries | workings | information|
|main site name||Kew Bridge Pumping Station (London)|
|sub site location|
|map reference||TQ 188780||zone||UK except Cornwall|
KMB's museum booklet, BEH. Established 1837 by Grand Junction Waterworks. Initially pumped Thames water direct to Paddington reservoir. 1845 (Wicksteed project) filter beds added, and purified water pumped to new Campden Hill reservoir. From 1884 (acc.to DBB263), 1903 (KMB booklet), or 1904 (BEH) incorporated in Metropolitan Water Board (later Thames Water Authority). Regular steam working ended 1945 (taken over by diesel, later electric pumps). From 1975 museum, with several engines restored to steam.